06/13/2013. I was super excited for this activity. To me this is the easiest and one of the coolest experiments I’ve done with kids. There weren’t as many kids but I had a lot of adults and librarian that were interested in this experiment. They even ask me about how to make them so they can go back to their children and teach them. So a good resource that I used was Science Bob (http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/polymer.php)
sticks ( for stirring)
Borax Powder ( this can be found in the laundry detergent at your local grocery store.)
- Making the Borax Solution: Add about 2 to 3 spoons of Borax Powder into a cup filled with water .Stir and make sure that it is dissolved completely. This can be saved and used for the whole entire group
- For each kid: give them a cup (I bought mine from the dollar store it was a small cup) and have them cover the bottom of the plastic cup to the point where you can’t see through the bottom of the cup.
- Then I told them to put about 8 to 12 spoons of water.
- This is the best time to put any food coloring in and then stir with stick
- Then add drops of the borax solution (made in step 1 ) and then stir – you would start to observe that the glue is sticking together.
- Repeat step 5 until the mixture of slime is to your liking.
- Once there slime is finish they can take it out to play with.
- When they are finish and ready to leave have them put their slime in the zip-lock bag
The objective is to have children understand the idea of Non-Newtonian. Non-Newtonian is things that are both a liquid and solid at the same time. For example Jello is Non-Newtonian. Slime is similar to jello because they are both made up of polymers. But even though they are similar you have to keep in mind that slime isn’t edible
This was actually a successful activity I not only got kids interested in this experiment I even had adults wowed by it. Other than the clean up for the activity everything went really smoothly. The cleanup is the worst there’s no point in spending 2 hours trying to clean up all the slime in the up so I advised you to be prepared to trash those cups at the end.